skip to main content


Does anyone have any questions? FAQs around water supply in CHB.

Water Supply FAQs

Q. I have no water. Who do I contact?

  • You can contact Council on 06 857 8060 and they will advise you on your next step. This number is monitored 24 hours a day.

Q. My toby is leaking can you fix it?

  • Yes, Council will fix leaking tobies at the boundary of your property, however if your toby is within your boundary (i.e near your house) you will need to call a plumber to fix it.

Q. I have a water leak on my property who is responsible for fixing it?

  • You will need to call your plumber.

Q. Why is my water a dirty brown or black colour?

  • The experience of “dirty water” is due to the presence of very minute amounts of soluble compounds of iron and manganese that gradually builds up as a coating on the pipe wall. When the normal flow of water is disrupted for any reason – such as during a maintenance shutdown, a sudden break in the pipeline or use of the street fire hydrant - the iron and manganese is re-suspended in the water, causing a brown discoloration.The water is still completely safe even though its appearance might suggest otherwise. Usually the discoloration will gradually clear of its own accord, but in severe instances Council may need to assist residents by flushing the mains in the street to restore clear water. Please phone Council on 06 857 8060 (24 hour service) and let us know if you are experiencing discoloration issues so we can assist you.

Q. Why is my water a cloudy whitish colour?

  • During re-filling of the water main after repairs or maintenance some air may be trapped. This is dissolved in the water under pressure and when released forms fine bubbles of air. This is the white colour that is seen. Leave some water standing in a clear glass and the white colour should disappear after a short time.


Q. Why is water from my tap coming out in sudden spurts or is noisy?

  • This may be due to air trapped in the pipe under pressure, which expands suddenly when the tap is turned on. This can happen when the normal flow of water is disrupted for any reason, such as during a maintenance shutdown. The solution is to leave several cold water taps just turned on slightly, allowing the trapped air to be safely bled from the line. If the problem persists, please contact Council on 06 857 8060 (24 hour service).

Q. My water tastes terrible or has an odour. How can I fix it?

  • First check your household appliances. Something as simple as a washer on the kettle that has deteriorated can cause an unpleasant taste. Council may need to flush the water mains or check for a valve inadvertently left turned off. Sometimes you may need to seek help from your plumber if normal checks and remedies do not clear the issue. If you are new to the district, the water may be a different taste to what you are used to. Please contact Council on 06 857 8060 (24 hour service) if you are still having issues and we will happily assist you.

Central Hawke's Bay District Council - Copyright © 2021 Central Hawke's Bay District Council

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Central Hawke's Bay District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Central Hawke's Bay District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Central Hawke's Bay District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Central Hawke's Bay District Council - / +64 6 857 8060 /