skip to main content

Land Transport FAQs

FAQs around roads and streets within the Central Hawkes Bay district

Land Transport Questions

Q. I want to report a problem on a State Highway. Who do I contact?

There are 2 State Highways running through the Central Hawke's Bay district; State Highway 2 and State Highway 50. If you notice any imperfections that may require attention, please call Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency on 0800 44 44 49.

Q. Why are our roads so vulnerable?

The majority of roads in the district are historic roads that were never designed or constructed to a specific or required standard. Road networks form over time from access tracks forged to connect communities and as usage changes and increases, infrastructure is renewed to maintain or improve the route for the service required. This means that some roads are built on aged foundations and often follow rivers, coastlines and valleys, which can increase the impact of water during a storm or weather event. Steep terrain means many of our roads are often on slopes, making them more vulnerable to slips and dropouts. Central Hawke’s Bay is susceptible to weather events and the impact on our roads is an unfortunate consequence.

Q. When is my road going to be graded?

Council has a grading cycle that outlines what road and when it is to be graded. This is based on the volume of vehicles that use the road. Should a particular road need an additional grade, then Council can be contacted on +64 6857 8060.

Q. How are the repairs to the roading network prioritised?

Council prioritises repairs to the roading network by assessing the site’s impact to road users, factoring how severe the damage is and so how much the road user is impacted, and how many people use the road and are therefore impacted by the issue. We also take into consideration the likelihood of the site worsening if left untreated, which allows for flexibility when prioritising repairs and the order of work.

Q. How is general road maintenance work funded?

General maintenance and repair work (resulting from age, wear and tear) on the district’s road is joint funded by Waka Kotahi and Council via local ratepayers’ contributions. Waka Kotahi provides Council a FAR (funding assistance rate) of 59% of funds to complete general maintenance and repairs on our roading network, and we fund the balance of 41%. When the district undergoes a state of emergency or significant weather event such as Cyclone Gabrielle, Waka Kotahi will enhance the FAR and provide us with a higher percentage.

General maintenance and repair work is managed separately from Council's post-cyclone response and recovery programme, which addresses the damages to our district's roads as a result of Cyclone Gabrielle and other significant weather events, and has its own funding allocations. 

Q. Are all the cones necessary? Is this a waste of money?

Council is bound to comply with the traffic management requirements set by national standards. These standards are designed to keep both road users and road workers safe in the event of an identified fault on the road or work to repair the fault. Yes, there is a cost to complying with these standards but it is done with the right intent and could save lives or prevent injuries. Public interference with traffic management or the removal of traffic cones pose an unnecessary cost to repair works and public safety risk.

Q. Can repairs to the roading network be done anytime or is there a construction season? 

Ideally, civil construction works are undertaken in the construction season from October through to March. Construction works incur fewer delays in dry weather while completing repairs during the winter months is generally avoided as it is inefficient and, therefore, more expensive. 

Q. Can a pedestrian crossing be installed in our street?

Pedestrian crossings are required to meet a warrant based on the number of pedestrians and vehicles amongst other things. Crossings that do not meet the warrant have proven to be less safe than no crossing at all.

Q. What can Council do about the speed of vehicles?

Council is not the law enforcement agency. Council can only address the problem by installing signage and advance warnings.  If you see someone speeding you can call the police who are authorised to deal with speeding infractions.

Q. Do I need a RAPID Number for my property, and how do I get one?

If you own or have recently brought a property and it has no number allocated to it, then one will need to be applied. This is essential for the purpose of Emergency Services being able to find you, should they ever be called to your property. This applies to either rural or urban properties.

You can apply to Council for a rural RAPID Number or call the Council on +64 6857 8060 to speak to a Customer Service representative. 


Central Hawke's Bay District Council - Copyright © 2024 Central Hawke's Bay District Council

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Central Hawke's Bay District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Central Hawke's Bay District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Central Hawke's Bay District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Central Hawke's Bay District Council - / +64 6 857 8060 /