skip to main content

Building ConsentsTono whakaaetanga hangatanga

Building Consents

 All building work must be carried out in accordance with the Building Code and the Council's District Plan whether or not it is exempt from a building consent. It is extremely important that applicants are aware of theirbuilding consents responsibilities under the Building Act 2004.

In some instances, a resource consent may be required. If you are unsure whether a resource consent is required or if any specific requirements of the District Plan are required to be met, please contact the Planning Department to discuss your project.

When can building start?

You can start to build once you have BOTH your Building Consent and your Resource Consent (if applicable). Please also view Important Information when applying for a building consent here.

Do NOT start building until you have BOTH these approvals. If a section 37 certificate has been issued with the building consent it will state that until the resource consent has been obtained –

(a) no building work may proceed; or
(b) building work may only proceed to the extent stated in the certificate.

A building consent is required for most work:

  • New buildings
  • Additions/alterations
  • Structural building work.
  • Plumbing work
  • Drainage work
  • Lift and cable cars
  • Demolition and relocation of second hand buildings
  • Solid fuel heaters (Fireplaces, Woodburners etc)

When a consent lapses

Once your building consent has been issued, the building work that the consent relates to must be started within 12 months. Otherwise the consent will lapse, and you will have to reapply for a new building consent if you wish to proceed with your building work or apply for an extension of time for a further period that the building consent authority may allow.

Council will remind you of this date closer to the time, and you may apply for an extension of time provided you do so before the 12 months is up. There is a fee for this service. Please enquire at Council.

How to apply for a building consent?

All applications are to be submitted via the Objective Build Applicant Platform.

For further information please click here.


If you wish to speak to a Building Consent Officer prior to submitting your application, please call 06 857 7731 to book an appointment or email

You can access the fees and charges page here

You can view a workflow diagram of the Building Consent Process here


Central Hawke's Bay District Council - Copyright © 2024 Central Hawke's Bay District Council

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Central Hawke's Bay District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Central Hawke's Bay District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Central Hawke's Bay District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Central Hawke's Bay District Council - / +64 6 857 8060 /