skip to main content

Applying for a Building Consent

Applying for a Building Consent

Applying for a Building Consent

The process of applying for a building consent depends on the nature of the work you are planning. You can access the fees and charges page here

NOTE: Building or design work that relates to either the structure (load-bearing walls, foundations etc) or moisture penetration (roof, cladding etc) of homes including small-to-medium sized apartments is classified as ‘Restricted Building Work’. This work can only be carried out by competent, appropriately licensed building practitioners.

Note 1: The actual fee payable includes the cost of time taken to process each application, project information memorandum, building consent or compliance schedule and the cost of the inspections required.

Note 2: Extra charges will be applicable for development levies. These will be assessed on a case by case basis. Please contact Council for exact costs.

Note 3: Building Research Association and MBIE levies are additional to the above at the rates specified from time to time by the Association.

Note 4: Pursuant to Building Research Association Legislation, materials, labour and plant costs must be included in the total value of building work for the calculation of levies.

Note 5: The accreditation fee is to cover continuing Central Government accreditation costs relating to the Building Act 2004.

Note 6: All building consent, building consent amendment, code compliance certificate, certificate of acceptance and certificate for public use fees are charged on an actual and reasonable cost recovery basis as per the fees and charges below. Fees are payable prior to the grant/issue of the applicable consent/certificate.


How to apply for a building consent

Council has a new building consent application system.  From 6 July 2022, all applications are to be submitted via the Objective Build Applicant Platform.

All consents submitted before 6 July 2022 will continue to be processed through the current system.

The Objective Build building consent application platform covers all aspects of the building consent process including applying for amendments to an approved building consent or applying for a code compliance certificate when you have finished building. 

Objective Build is simple and intuitive to use with agents and owners having full visibility of how the application is progressing.  All documents and RFIs are saved into one simple to use area.


If you have not used Objective Build before, please refer to the information below to help get you started.

The Objective Build Support team are there to assist and can be contacted directly at or via phone on 0800 024 508. They’re available Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm NZST.

Objective Build Quick Start Guide


Objective Build Key Features (

Objective Build Online Training sessions (

Objective Build Video tutorial library (


What sort of information do I need for a building consent application

Building consent applications can be complex. We recommend that you engage a professional to help with design work and drawings. For more information on what is required, please refer to the Guide to applying for a Building Consent

For building consent applications where there is no reticulated wastewater system and onsite disposal is required, please complete the Onsite Wastewater form which can be downloaded here, and upload to the other supporting documents section in the Objective Build platform.


Reviewing your application

It is compulsory for Building Consent applications to go through a vetting assessment process. This is undertaken in the Objective Build Platform and involves a non-technical review of your consent documentation against a standardised checklist.

It is important to remember that this is only an initial check to ensure all the necessary information has been provided. A Building Officer will complete a full examination and technical assessment of the application after the consent has been accepted.

All communication including requests for information (RFIs) will be emailed to you and available for review in the Objective Build platform.


Lodging an application

All applications are to be made through the Objective Build Applicant Platform.


If you wish to make an appointment to discuss your application in person, please contact Council on 06 857 7731 to make an appointment with a building officer.


Compliance with Stormwater and Water Supply Bylaws - CHBDC

All new dwellings must comply with the Stormwater and Water Supply Bylaws. Compliance will be assessed at building consent vetting stage. Our team are able to assist in calculating water tank size requirements.


Protecting the stormwater network during construction

Building and construction activities can affect Council’s stormwater network and ultimately our waterways.  All building sites must comply with HBRC’s silt and erosion control guidelines.


Alterations to an existing building

Changes made to an existing building, such as (but not limited to) increasing or decreasing the floor area, making or closing an opening, erecting or demolishing a wall etc may require a building consent.

The building consent can only be granted where the building consent authority/territorial authority (in this case Central Hawke's Bay District Council) is satisfied that the building will:

  • Comply as nearly as is reasonably practicable with the Building Code provisions for means of escape from fire, and access and facilities for people with disabilities (if required)
  • Continue to comply with other provisions of the Building Code to at least the same extent as before the alteration

The Building Act clarifies that if part of a building is altered, upgrade provisions are triggered for the whole building.


Changing the use of a building

Section 115 of the Building Act 2004 ensures that when changing the use of a building, the current building stock is being upgraded toward the current provisions of the Building Code, specifically relating to:

  1. Means of escape from fire, along with protection of other property, sanitary facilities, structural performance, and fire-rating performance.
  2. Facilities for persons with disabilities (if this is a requirement in terms of section 118)
  3. Continued compliance with the other provisions of the Building Code to at least the same extent as before the change of use.

Council will need to assess the extent to which the proposed upgrade will be effective to bring the building closer to the relevant Building Code standards. As part of the building consent application, building owners will need to provide an evaluation of:

  • What should be in the building to satisfy 1 and 2 above as if this building was new.
  • What is currently in the building.
  • What is proposed to bring this building toward the standard required by items 1 and 2 above.

The evaluation should also detail the benefits and sacrifices required so Council can consider what is ‘reasonably practicable’.

In a case where the change of use involves the incorporation in the building of 1 or more household units where household units did not exist before the building in its new use needs to comply, as nearly as is reasonably practicable, with the Building Code in all respects.


Multiproof consents

The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment provides a multi-proof service for standardised building designs that are intended to be built several times. If a building design is Multiproof certified, you can build the design several times within one district or nationwide, subject to any approval conditions, without the requirement to have the whole design assessed by the Building Consent Authority each time you apply for a Building Consent.

For more information see: Building Performance/MultiProof


Building on land subject to natural hazards

If your land is subject to, or likely to be subject to one or more natural hazards then the Building Consent Authority is required to register a section 73 notice against the property.

Under Section 71 to 73 of the Building Act, natural hazard means

  • Erosion (including coastal erosion, bank erosion and sheet erosion)
  • Falling debris (including soil, rock, snow and ice)
  • Subsidence
  • Inundation (including flooding, overland flow, storm surge, tidal effects and ponding)
  • Slippage

For further information related to potential hazards on your site, we recommend obtaining a property hazards report from HBRC. Send your request to


Procedure for granting a building consent subject to section 72 of the Building Act 2004

The applicant will be made aware that the application is being considered under Section 72 and that the hazard will be registered against their title. They may also be required to apply for a waiver to part of E1.3.2.

The owner’s confirmation is required to recognise the potential implications this may have on their insurance and any future sales. The owner has the opportunity then to withdraw their application.

There will be a fee for notification to LINZ regarding a Natural Hazard.


Extending the life of a building

Most buildings have an indefinite life exceeding 50 years unless a specific intended life is specified.

Where a building is proposed to have a specified intended life the Building Consent will be issued subject to the condition that the building must be altered, demolished or removed before the end of its specified intended life.

However, we can approve an ‘extension of life’ if we are satisfied that the building can continue to perform for a longer period.


Standard of documents

Building work which requires a Licensed Building Practitioner (LBP) will need to be documented by the LBP.


Accepting and considering producer statements

Producer statements can be used to reduce Council’s input into specific aspects of design reviews or construction monitoring work.

Council may accept/require a Producer Statement from a suitably qualified expert as evidence that their design or building work complies or will comply with the New Zealand Building Code. The content of the statements must be project-specific.



Minor changes to plans can be made at any stage of the application process however these will need to be checked for legislative compliance, which in some cases may slow the processing of your application.

New projects cannot be added to your consent application once it is submitted. A separate application will be required which will be assessed as per any other building consent application.

Changes to a consent that has already been granted will require an amendment application and incur further processing fees.


Specified systems

When you apply for a building consent, you must include a list of all specified systems in the building project. Specified systems are systems or features installed in a building that are crucial to the safety and health of the building and those who use it, or systems which, if they are not maintained, could cause injury or harm. The proposed inspection, maintenance and reporting procedures for the specified systems must be supplied.

Refer to the Specified Systems section for further information.


Project Information Memorandum (PIM)

A Project Information Memorandum (PIM) is a Council report which provides information about land and the requirements of legislation that might be relevant to proposed building work.

You can choose to apply for this before lodging a Building Consent application so that you can anticipate any potential issues, or you can apply at the same time as you lodge your building consent.

A PIM is not mandatory but for larger projects such as new houses, large alterations and new commercial or industrial buildings, you will find a PIM very useful during the feasibility and design stage of the project.

The PIM either confirms that, subject to the requirements of the Building Consent and all other necessary authorisations being obtained, you will be able to carry out the building work, or it gives you notification that building work may not be undertaken.


Apply for a PIM

To apply for a PIM, please contact the building consents team or send an email to Council has 10 days to request additional information and must issue the PIM within 10 days of receiving this information.


Central Hawke's Bay District Council - Copyright © 2024 Central Hawke's Bay District Council

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Central Hawke's Bay District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Central Hawke's Bay District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Central Hawke's Bay District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Central Hawke's Bay District Council - / +64 6 857 8060 /