skip to main content

Licensing - Alcohol, Food, Permits etc

Licensing in Central Hawke's Bay

Role of local councils - Alcohol

Under the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012, local government authorities have a range of powers and responsibilities. The people and bodies involved in carrying out these roles include:

  • District licensing committees (DLCs)
  • Licensing Inspectors
  • Territorial Authority Chief Executives

Some alcohol licensing applications are now done through Business Connect, you will need a Real me account to login. Click the link below to find out more: 

Go to the Alcohol Licensing page here



Role of local councils - Food

To run a business under the Food Act, you need to register with your local council or MPI. The organisation you register with depends on where you operate, and what type of plan or programme you need. You can find information at the link below:

Go to the Food Premises Licensing Page here

 Information about Food Safety can be found here



Other Licences:

The CHBDC Bylaws series covers various matters under local authority jurisdiction. Local authorities are empowered under a variety of Acts including the Local Government Act 2002 to make Bylaws.

You can find information on the various licences below:

Amusement Devices

Camping Grounds

Funeral Parlours


Mobile Shops/Stalls

Offensive Trade

Selling food at an event


Street Performance and Busking

 Street Appeals


CHBDC Part 1 -  Introductory Bylaw section 104


104.1 Any person doing or proposing to do anything or to cause any condition to exist for which a
licence from Council is required under this Bylaw, shall first obtain a licence from Council or any
authorised officer.

104.2 Every application for a licence shall be accompanied by the relevant fee. If the application for
the licence is declined, the fee shall be refunded less any reasonable processing costs. Where
a fee has been paid for which no service has been given,Council may provide a refund or waiver
of all or part of the fee as it may determine.

104.3 No application for a licence, and no payment of or receipt for any fee paid in connection with
such application, confers any right, authority or immunity on the person making that application
or payment.

104.4 Any licence is deemed to be issued in compliance with this Bylaw if it is issued by an authorised
officer, and every licence is subject to such conditions as may be imposed.

104.5 Unless this Bylaw provides otherwise, every licence and every application for a licence shall be
in such form as may be prescribed from time to time by Council.

104.6 Unless this Bylaw provides otherwise, a licence is not transferable, and no such licence
authorises any person other than the licence holder to act in any way under its terms or

104.7 If, following a request for payment, any licence fee due remains unpaid, the licence shall
immediately cease to have effect.



Central Hawke's Bay District Council - Copyright © 2024 Central Hawke's Bay District Council

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Central Hawke's Bay District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Central Hawke's Bay District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Central Hawke's Bay District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Central Hawke's Bay District Council - / +64 6 857 8060 /