skip to main content

Stock MovementNekenga kararehe

The droving of stock (stock moving) throughout Central Hawke's Bay is governed by a Council bylaw. Read all about if you need a permit and the costs involved.

Stock Movement

Did you know that you are able to use the roadside for grazing of stock?

All you need to do is contact our friendly customer services team on 06 857 8060 and let them know:

  • Your name and contact details
  •  Where and when you will be grazing
  • How many stock will be grazing

The golden rules around this are:

  • Ensure adequate temporary fencing (no use of waratahs allowed) erected to keep your stock safe on the property side of the road drain, and that stock are kept well clear of culverts
  • Ensure that if you are grazing on a roadside that isn’t directly out the front of your property, that you gain permission from the appropriate owner of the property you are fronting
  • All stock must be removed before dark due to safety reasons
  • All grazing on State Highways must be approved by the New Zealand Transport Agency – please contact

Register now by phoning 06 857 8060 to ensure Council can incorporate this in their mowing schedule across the district.

For those travelling on our local roads, you may see an increase in the number of stock grazing on the roadside due to drought conditions, please ensure that you take care and watch your speed.

If you see stock out wandering on the road, not contained behind temporary fencing, please contact Council on 06 857 8060 (24 hour service) and one of our Animal Services and Compliance team will action.


Grazing the "Long Acre"

20160331 074455

 Farmers grazing the "Long Acre" on a temporary basis require Council permission. An application for Livestock Roadside Grazing is required and can be downloaded from the Documents and Forms page

If you are moving stock throughout Central Hawke's Bay, this is governed by a Council bylaw which you can view on the Documents and Forms Page

 A person may move livestock along or across any road within the District of Council in the following situations:

  • returning livestock to a farm in the case of an escape or an emergency;
  • on any roads that are not listed in Schedule 1 of the Bylaw as restricted from moving livestock.
  • when movement of livestock is carried out under the following conditions:
    • the livestock movement will be completed in any one day,
    • each mob shall be accompanied by one experienced drover for any number of cattle up to and including 300 head, or for any number of other livestock up to and including 1,500 head, and by two experienced drovers for any number of cattle exceeding 300 head or any number of other livestock exceeding 1,500;
    • the drover shall keep the animals moving along the road at all times so as to make reasonable progress towards the destination;
    • animals shall be moved in such a manner, and using only such points of access and exit to and from the road, as will ensure that danger to other road users and damage to the road, road reserve and any Council or private property will be minimised.
    • each mob shall be accompanied at the front either by a pilot vehicle, or a sign that is placed where it is clearly visible and gives adequate warning of livestock movements to other road users; and at the back by either a pilot vehicle or a sign that is placed where it is clearly visible and gives adequate warning of livestock movements to other road users.

If you are droving any stock on council roads for more than a single day you will require a droving permit. To apply for a droving permit phone Council on +64 6 8578060. Generally Council requires 48 hours notice to issue a permit.

When applying for a permit we will need the following details from you:

  • Full name of person applying.
  • Full name, address and phone number of the owner of the stock.
  • Full name and address of the head drover.
  • If droving cattle a current TB certificate number and date of issue.
  • The number and type of stock being moved.
  • Any identification, e.g. ear tags or marks on the stock.
  • The number of drovers and dogs being used.
  • The date and intended movement route for each day of the drove and where stock will be held overnight.

The permit will supply you with any additional safety information/details that may apply to your route, e.g. road works if known etc. It will also state any general requirements that the Animal Services and Compliance Team may impose on the drove.

People who own land and pay rates in Central Hawke's Bay will be issued a droving permit at no cost.

Residents of areas outside Central Hawke's Bay will be charged.


Central Hawke's Bay District Council - Copyright © 2024 Central Hawke's Bay District Council

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Central Hawke's Bay District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Central Hawke's Bay District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Central Hawke's Bay District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Central Hawke's Bay District Council - / +64 6 857 8060 /