skip to main content

Hazardous & E-WastePara mōrearea / Te para tāhiko

What are Hazardous Wastes?

Hazardous wastes are substances that can harm the environment, and affect the health of people and animals. Hazardous wastes are harmful because they are:

Explosive, flammable, reactive, toxic, corrosive or infectious

Hazardous wastes are produced by factories, users of toxic products, (such as people who use cleaning products and chemicals) and even households. Potentially hazardous wastes are about 1% of household rubbish bags and transfer station waste, but even though this is only a tiny amount, it can still cause problems.

CHBDC provides a Hazardous Waste collection service once a year. This will be advertised at the time. Check back here for details.

Hazardous Wastes in the Home

Many of the products and substances we use in our homes can be hazardous if we do not use and dispose of them properly. Products such as bleach, moth balls, garden sprays, oven cleaners, paints, insect sprays and household cleaners can be dangerous.

Together these products can add up to be a considerable source of pollution. The environment can be damaged when they make their way into the air, water and soil. People's health can also be affected.

Look in your cupboards, sheds, garages, laundry and workshop for products that may be hazardous.

What to do about Hazardous Wastes?

Reduce the amount of Hazardous Wastes by:

  • Buy only as much as you need
  • Use all of the product or see if someone else can use up the leftovers
  • Buy products that are made from natural or non-toxic materials

Gas canisters/gas bottles can be taken to Waipukurau of Waipawa transfer stations and as recyclables, there is no charge.

Aerosol/perfume cans are non-recyclable and as such should be treated as ordinary rubbish

Safe Use and Storage

Most substances are only dangerous when not used properly.

  • Always follow instructions and use carefully. Never use more than the manufacturer's instructions recommend
  • Store in original containers so that you can check instructions and contents
  • Keep the lid tightly closed
  • Store in a cool, well ventilated place, out of the reach of children and pets
  • Don't store bleach close to ammonia or acids as these could react and create a poisonous gas
  • Don't use old containers to store other products.

More Information

But if you have to have hazardous materials at home, make sure they are always stored safely and securely:

  • Keep hazardous materials dry and away from heat or flames
  • Always keep things in their original container so that you know what it is
  • If the container is leaking and you have to use another, label it correctly
  • Keep lids tightly closed
  • Always keep hazardous materials out of the reach of children - for example in a locked cupboard

Transporting household hazardous waste safely

All containers should be in good condition - this means they should not have holes or be brittle, and the lid must be fitted tightly. They must be transported upright and secured so that they cannot fall over or leak liquid or gas. If you do have a leaking container, put it into a bucket with a lid, and please remember to do this outside so that any fumes can disperse easily. Heavy-duty plastic bags may be acceptable for solid wastes. Please label the container clearly to help the person receiving the waste.You can help us - and yourself - by putting your household hazardous waste upright into cardboard boxes. This way, you protect your car from leaks, and when you arrive at the HazMobile all we need to do is lift out the box and you can be on your way!

Disposal Options

Don't tip down stormwater drains as these empty directly to local streams causing pollution and killing wildlife. It is illegal to put hazardous wastes into stormwater drains. Never tip oil onto the ground or use on unsealed driveways. It will contaminate and pollute the ground. Don't burn as some substances give off toxic fumes.

  • Only biodegradable detergents should be allowed to soak into the ground
  • Carefully seal empty containers and dispose of them in your normal rubbish
  • For any unwanted products - mix an absorbent material (e.g. kitty litter, sand or sawdust) into the original container. Tightly seal and place into a plastic bag for disposal with other rubbish


  • Allow used brush cleaners to evaporate, or use as a weed killer
  • Wash out paint brushes in a sink or gully trap
  • Allow unwanted latex and water based paint to dry then dispose with normal household rubbish

Paint disposal Charges:

  • Up to 4 litre can: 2.00
  • Over 4 litre can: 4.00


  • Take to your local chemist for proper disposal or flush down toilet. If you have a septic tank system don't flush antibiotics as these will destroy the bacteria that break down the sewage
  • Syringes - Needle exchange - for needle exchange please contact the needle exchange program.

Needle Exchange Program

+64 6 843 8725


E-waste can be taken to Waipukurau and Waipawa transfer stations. There is a charge for disposal and prices are below.

Item Charge
Printer, Scanner, Fax (small) $18.00
Printer, Scanner, Fax (large) $50.00
LCD/ CRT (old) Monitor $10.00
Flat Screen Monitor $12.00
Flat Screen Television $15.00
CRT(old) Television $20.00
Photocopier (small/medium)
Photocopier (large) $70.00
Laptops/Tablets $6.00
Small Appliances/Drills/Alarm Clocks/Cameras $7.00
Heaters/Fans $7.00
Vacuum Cleaners $12.00
Microwaves $12.00
DVD/VCR players $10.00
Stereo Systems and Gaming Consoles $7.00
Stereo Speakers per unit $4.00
Washing Machines/Dryers/Dishwashers/Electric Stoves $29.00
Fridges/Freezers $45.00
Keyboards and Docking Stations $4.00
Electric Bike Batteries $30.00





Hazardous Waste Collection

Hazardous waste can be dangerous at every stage of its 'life'. Hazardous materials stored at home could react with one another and cause a fire or toxic fumes. Children could poison themselves. A container may leak and contaminate the soil or groundwater. If hazardous waste is disposed of with the rest of the household rubbish or put out with the inorganic rubbish collection, the people who pick up the rubbish could be injured, sometimes severely. And finally, hazardous waste that ends up in the landfill could pollute our environment.

Hazardous waste is not accepted at the Central Hawke's Bay landill. If you wish to dispose of any hazardous waste, please contact the Hawke's Bay Regional Council on 0800-108-838 for further guidance.

Unwanted Agricultural Chemicals

The Hawke's Bay Regional Council provides a free collection for both rural and urban ratepayers who have unwanted agricultural chemicals. 


Agrecovery Service at Waipukurau - Change of Days & Hours

An Agrecovery collection service at the Waipukurau Transfer Station has changed.

Service will only be offered on Mondays and Thursdays between the hours 12 noon to 5:00pm.

Service is available from Waipukurau Transfer Station only. To use Agrecovery servicesyou must be registered with Agrecovery. Agrecovery contact details are  0800 247 326  or  04 499 6777 or email You must triple rinse containers or they will be rejected. The Agrecovery programme provides a sustainable way to dispose of used agrichemical containers, which are then recycled into fully-compliant products right here in New Zealand’.

Hazardous Substances

We use hazardous substances every day and in all sorts of ways. Some are so commonplace that we don't even realise that they're dangerous - but they are.

So we need to be sure about what's hazardous, what's not and how to handle and dispose of the dangerous ones. But do you know how to do that?

That's where the Hazardous Substances and New Organisms Act 1996 (HSNO) comes in.

The HSNO Act pulls together the management of hazardous substances into one law that focuses on all of their hazards - to you and to the environment. It makes sure you have enough information to use and dispose of them safely.

What is a hazardous substance?

A substance is hazardous if it has one or more of the following properties:


  • Don't handle unless properly qualified
  • Keep away from open flames and sparks


  • Keep away from open flames and sparks
  • Keep away from oxidisersOnly open when in good ventilation

Oxidiser and organic peroxide

  • Keep container closed
  • Keep away from flammables


  • Wear gloves and/or protective clothing


  • Keep in labeled container
  • Wear protective clothing


  • Use proper equipment
  • Don't pour down the drain
  • Keep in labelled container

How do I know if a substance is hazardous?

Sale to Public

Information provided by the manufacturer, supplier or retailer (typically, this would be as a label on the package or container) should tell you:

  • If a substance is hazardous
  • Its hazardous properties
  • How to dispose of it or where to find that out
  • Contact details for the manufacturer or supplier

There may be additional information - for instance in the package or attached in a plastic sleeve - depending on its type and degree of hazard.

Supply to Workplace

A hazardous substance supplied to a workplace must be accompanied by more detailed documentation on:

  • The type and degree of hazard
  • Kinds and extent of harm or damage it can cause
  • When that harm or damage is likely to happen and how to prevent it happening
  • How to dispose of it and how not to dispose of it


When a substance is packaged for transport, the package must have a placard or label indicating its type and degree of hazard and the driver must carry documentation identifying the substance and the hazards it presents.

What are my responsibilities?

  • You must make sure that you have been supplied with the right information and documentation for the hazardous substances that you deal with
  • Each hazardous substance must be supplied in packages that comply with packaging controls. You must make sure that this packaging is not damaged. Information supplied with the hazardous substance must be kept with the substance and must remain in good condition
  • You need to comply with the controls set by the Environment Risk Management Authority (ERMA) on each substance that you deal with. Check to see if a code of practice has been approved by the Authority. Following that could make compliance with these controls easier
  • If you are dealing with restricted hazardous substances (such as almost all explosives and many highly toxic substances), you may need go become an approved handler or ensure that certified approved handlers deal with these substances
  • In some cases, your site may need to be certified as suitable for some hazardous substances
  • For certain substances, you will need to be prepared for an emergency (for example, have the right sort of fire extinguisher available where there are flammable substances and have an emergency management plan.

Dispose of something safely?

All hazardous substances should have disposal instructions on their labels or in the accompanying information. Generally, disposal should be by treatment by a hazardous waste management operator or disposal to suitable landfills in accordance with their acceptance criteria, or, in certain cases, to sewer, in accordance with your local authority's trade waste acceptance criteria.

You can call Councils Environmental Monitoring Officer for advice on disposal.




Central Hawke's Bay District Council - Copyright © 2023 Central Hawke's Bay District Council

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Central Hawke's Bay District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Central Hawke's Bay District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Central Hawke's Bay District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Central Hawke's Bay District Council - / +64 6 857 8060 /