At the height of Cyclone Gabrielle lower Waipawa was significantly flooded due to failure of the stop bank.
Key impacts experienced by Waipawa were:
• Evacuations from homes in lower Waipawa and movement to CDC or alternate accommodation with whānau/friends.
• 58 yellow stickered houses and 1 red stickered house.
• Drinking water system failure - water tankers and bottled water provided for 26 days.
• Wastewater system failure - portable toilets provided for until the wastewater systems were restored.
• Boil water notice for 26 days from 14 February through to 11 March.
• Commercial business unable to open while boil water notice was in place.
• Flooding of 7 businesses and commercial buildings.
• Waipawa Primary School was impacted by the flooding, but this was limited to outdoors and remedial works is still underway to restore the school grounds while minimising the impact on the students.
• Waipawa Primary School closed from afternoon of the 13th February until Monday 20th February.
• Local businesses financially affected due to inability to trade.
On Saturday 22 April a Community Conversation was held with Waipawa communities, approximately 65 residents attended. Key issues discussed related to impact of Cyclone Gabrielle on stormwater, flood management systems and preparedness for a future emergency event.
Key issues raised have been collated themes and actions in the table below.
The prioritisation of these actions will be done in partnership at a second round of Community Conversations to be held at CHB Municipal Theatre on Tuesday, August 8 from 6pm to 7.30pm.
To see our first cut of an action plan for Waipawa see below or to see the full Recovery Plan, click here.
Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Central Hawke's Bay District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Central Hawke's Bay District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Central Hawke's Bay District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.
© Central Hawke's Bay District Council - / +64 6 857 8060 / email@example.com