At the height of Cyclone Gabrielle the Elsthorpe, Kairakau and Mangakuri areas were significantly impacted by the damage caused on our roading network.
The key impacts experienced by Elsthorpe, Kairakau and Mangakuri were:
• A number of key roads on the network were damaged or flooded so accessibility to the main townships of Waipawa and Waipukurau were cut off.
• Power outages in the district, in particular there were four customers that were without power for a period of 37 days.
• Patangata Bridge closed due to significant damage caused by Cyclone Gabrielle and only other alternate routes limited to 4WD only.
• Telecommunications were down for the first two days and no other alternatives for connecting in with others.
• Significant damage caused to land users, particularly in the farming and agricultural industry.
On Tuesday 4 April a Community Conversation was held with Elsthorpe, Kairakau and Mangakuri communities. Approximately 32 residents attended.
Key issues discussed related to impact of Cyclone Gabrielle on roads, stormwater, flood protection systems, preparedness for future emergency events.
Key issues raised have been collated into themes and actions in the table below.
The prioritisation of these actions will be done in partnership at a second round of Community Conversations to be held at Elsthorpe Hall on Thursday, 7 September from 6pm to 7.30pm.
To see our first cut of an action plan Elsthorpe, Kairakau and Mangakuri below or to see the full Recovery Plan, click here.
Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Central Hawke's Bay District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Central Hawke's Bay District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Central Hawke's Bay District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.
© Central Hawke's Bay District Council - / +64 6 857 8060 / firstname.lastname@example.org