• Evacuations from homes in Pōrangahau township and Kaumatua Flats on Pa Road with movement to CDC at Rugby clubrooms or alternate accommodation with whānau/friends.
• Loss of power and telecommunications.
• 33 yellow stickered houses.
• Extensive flooding of Rongomaraeroa Marae and Urupa.
• Drinking water system failure - water tankers and bottled water provided until the water supply was secured.
• Commercial businesses unable to open due to flooding.
• Pōrangahau School closed from afternoon of the 13th February until Monday 20th February.
• Accessibility to the main township of Waipukurau was cut off due to the main road being covered by slips.
• Shortage of fuel supply • Local businesses financially affected due to inability to trade.
• Significant damage caused to land users, particularly in the farming and agricultural industry.
On Sunday 23 April a Community Conversation was held with Pōrangahau communities, approximately 50 residents attended.
Key issues discussed related to impact of Cyclone Gabrielle on roads, stormwater, flood protection systems, communication networks, and working with community on recovery.
Key issues raised have been collated themes and actions in the table below.
Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Central Hawke's Bay District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Central Hawke's Bay District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Central Hawke's Bay District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.
© Central Hawke's Bay District Council - / +64 6 857 8060 / email@example.com