skip to main content

Country Living

Living in rural areas is different from living in urban areas. This page answers a few questions people have around expectations and reality

Country Living


It can be but remember - the rural environment is where people live and work. That means its both a beautiful landscape and a place of production.

Some production activities create effects that are noticeable on adjoining properties. Many of these effects are a necessary and legitimate part of rural production. Maybe not all day or all year - but sometimes, depending on the season there might be:

  • Noise - Dogs barking, farm machinery operating, planting or harvesting activities, stock being moved, bird scaring devices, truck movements in the early or late hours, stock noise at weaning time, helicopters
  • Smell - Animal enclosures, silage, effluent disposal
  • Smoke - Stubble burn-off or other fires
  • Dust - Cultivation, planting and harvesting, vehicles on unsealed roads and driveways
  • Spray - Agrichemical spraying of crops and paddocks

Look around the rural neighbourhood and see what's there. Think about how established activities might affect you.

Ask around - find out what day to day life is like in that rural area in all seasons. Spend some time there - check it out in good weather and bad weather days and all wind directions.

Can I Do Anything I Want On My Land?

It might pay to check. Usually you can, provided your activities don't cause adverse environmental effects.

Councils are responsible for managing the effects of activities and may have rules and bylaws controlling things like:

  • House location and the number of houses
  • Location of farm buildings and stock yards
  • Disposal of household sewage and stock effluent
  • Taking water from the ground or rivers
  • Discharges to ground and water
  • Burning of open fires
  • Distances of shelter belts and plantation forestry from boundaries
  • Noise
  • Removal of scrub or trees
  • Earthworks to build access tracks

There may be particular or additional controls in areas that have special landscape or ecological importance.

Ask the Council for a copy of the rules applying to your property and rural neighbourhood

Just as in town it's important to get on with neighbours. The council can set basic guidelines or standards, but when it comes to managing minor matters its up to you and your neighbours. Make sure you get hold of your neighbours if anything happens on their property that might affect you and tell your neighbours about your plans that might affect them.

Will My Green Rural Outlook Change?

The rural landscape is constantly changing. Change is necessary and inevitable part of living in the country.

Council's rules are not intended to preserve things as they are now but to manage the environmental effects of ongoing changes. Ask the council about its rules for rural subdivisions and the location of buildings on adjoining land.

Other Things To Check

Other things to check:

  • Requirements for controlling serious weeds
  • Responsibility for controlling dogs and livestock
  • The use of chemical sprays
  • The location of emergency services (doctor, rural fire service)
  • Power connections to the property
  • Hawke's Bay Regional Council
  • CHB District Plan

Central Hawke's Bay District Council - Copyright © 2024 Central Hawke's Bay District Council

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Central Hawke's Bay District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Central Hawke's Bay District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Central Hawke's Bay District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Central Hawke's Bay District Council - / +64 6 857 8060 /