Waka Tākaro is a mobile community play trailer. It’s a partnership between Central Hawke’s Bay District Council and Sport Hawke’s Bay made possible via the Tu Manawa Active Aotearoa fund.
The purpose of Waka Tākaro is to support and empower our communities to understand and appreciate play and, create more opportunities for local play to happen more often for more people.
Educators are telling us that this resource presents a superb opportunity for authentic learning and engaged students.
Waka Tākaro offers children opportunities for free, creative play. Essentially, it’s a trailer-load of gear which we hope will drive playfulness in CHB Communities. It includes anything from bats, balls, nets, timber, PVC pipes, tennis balls, and recycled items.
To find out more phone us on 06 857 8060 or email email@example.com
The Waka Tākaro lives at our CHB Toy Library, you can book it through the Toy Library or you can fill in the form down below.
“Play is where children practice life”
Play is essential for growth in cognitive, physical, social and emotional development. It builds fundamental physical literacy, fosters creativity and innovation, builds ability to identify and manage risk. Play contributes to not only children’s lives but also the wellbeing of their families, whānau and wider community.
Sport New Zealand has developed seven Principles of Play that advocate for the importance of play in young New Zealander’s lives.
children through open ended play with loose parts
Allow a view when children are playing
Tamariki will be able to play an active role in their
Loose play promotes between members and the community
Tamariki are able to feel a since of and while being out in a welcoming community based environment
Tamariki are able to using different materials
will be put to the test and through loose parts play
Rangatahi can support and boost within tamariki when engaging in play
Supports all ages with and by being able to provide a relaxed environment within the community
Outside play allows tamariki to nature
Supports the development of the
Builds with whānau
Here are some links that support the importance of the promotion of Play;
We ask the following of the individual(s)/organisation hiring the Waka Tākaro to help develop the story of positive impact for play:
An additional item is added to the Waka Tākaro (this could be a safe loose parts play piece or a more conventional piece of sports equipment).
The Waka Tākaro will be secured and unsecured by Central Hawke’s Bay District Council staff only.
The Waka Tākaro consists of:
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF HIRE
• Equipment and trailer will be picked up and dropped off from the Waka Tākaro place of storage by the individual making the booking. This can be completed outside office hours as there is a lock box where the keys are located. Upon your booking being confirmed you will be given the lock box code.
• Waka Tākaro bookings must be made a minimum of three (3) days prior to hire date(s) (unless a shorter lead in period is approved by Central Hawkes Bay District Council).
• The Waka Tākaro will be checked before and after use. Any damage to the Waka Tākaro during the hire period is the responsibility of the individual(s)/organisation who made the booking.
• All equipment (including trailer) must be returned in a clean and tidy condition ready for the next user.
• Please ensure all equipment is placed back in the appropriate containers/bins when it is packed up for collection.
• All Health, Safety and Wellbeing obligations and responsibilities related to the Waka Tākaro and related events are the full responsibility of the individual(s)/organisation hiring the Waka Tākaro during their hire period.
• The Waka Tākaro and its equipment will not need to be supervised for the entire duration of your event but the expectation is that at regular intervals it is checked upon to ensure appropriate use.
• A Health and Safety plan has been created and is to be abided by when using the Waka Tākaro.
• The Hirer will return of the Waka Tākaro at the agreed time and date.
• The Hirer will ensure the Waka Tākaro shall not be used for any illegal activity or be used in an activity that causes a nuisance or disturbance, or in any manner detrimental to the Central Hawke’s Bay District Council representation in the community.
• The Hirer shall give Central Hawke’s Bay District Council notice of any failure, damage or accident.
• The Hirer will ensure the Waka Tākaro is operated using all health and safety practices and controls required by the Health and Safety in Employment Act 1992 (OSH).
• Security of the Waka Tākaro is the responsibility of the hirer/organisation. The trailer must remain locked while not in use and the keys kept in a safe place. If keeping overnight, the trailer should be kept in a secured area where and when possible.
• There is currently no fee to hire of the Waka Tākaro (except for missing or damaged equipment).
• All parties that will be towing the trailer with show there full driver’s license, car registration and WoF.
To check out the availability of the Waka Tākaro and to make a booking, email firstname.lastname@example.org or fill in the online form below
Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Central Hawke's Bay District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Central Hawke's Bay District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Central Hawke's Bay District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.
© Central Hawke's Bay District Council - / +64 6 857 8060 / email@example.com