At the height of Cyclone Gabrielle Tikokino/Wakarara/Argyll was significantly affected due to the impact on the Roading Network in these areas. In particular, our Wakarara catchment become one of our isolated communities: Key impacts experienced by Tikokino/Wakarara/Argyll were:
• Wakarara Community was cut off while the Douglas Cutting Bridge was investigated for repair and a temporary track was installed 21 March 2023 to single lane and 15 tonne limit.
• Roading network significantly damaged with a number of bridges significantly damaged.
• Tikokino School closed from afternoon of the 13th February until Monday 20th February.
• Significant damage caused to land users, particularly in the farming and agricultural industry.
• Telecommunications were down for the first 2 days and no other alternatives for connecting in with others
• A significant number of properties affected by power outages for a number of days.
On Tuesday 18 April a community conversation was held with Tikokino, Wakarara and Argyll, approximately 34 residents attended.
Key issues discussed related to impact of Cyclone Gabrielle on roads, stormwater, communication networks, and preparedness for future emergency events. Key issues raised have been collated themes and actions in the table below.
The prioritisation of these actions will be done in partnership at a second round of Community Conversations to be held at Tikokino Hall on Tuesday, August 22 from 6pm to 7.30pm.
To see our first cut of an action plan for Tikokino/Wakarara/Argyll see below or to see the full Recovery Plan, click here.
Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Central Hawke's Bay District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Central Hawke's Bay District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Central Hawke's Bay District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.
© Central Hawke's Bay District Council - / +64 6 857 8060 / email@example.com