skip to main content

Working In/On/Beside the RoadTe mahi i runga, i te taha rānei o te roti

Information about working and roads - traffic management plans, road use, stock grazing,
and closures

Working In/On/Beside the Road

Before anyone can carry out any activities in/ on/ beside the road, they

  1. Must contact the Council Roading Department at least 5 working days prior to carrying out the activity
  2. Comply with the CHBDC District Plan
  3. Comply with all other Council requirements.

On Monday the 1st April, 2019, Central Hawkes Bay District Council will start using CAR Manager to lodge all works within road reserve via the Submitica Control

Should you need further guidance, please contact Ross Munro in the Roading Department.

Use Submitica for the following two applications:

Traffic Management Plans

A Traffic Management Plan is required to cover any activity that may affect the normal operating conditions of the roads (including footpaths). Please refer to the Code of Practice for Temporary Traffic Management for details.

Road Use Consents/Corridor Access Requests

A Road Use Consent is required to cover any activity in or on beside the road. Please complete the Road Use Consent Form (see Related Pages below) and submit it to Council.


For the below applications please contact your Council Personnel  before undertaking:

Road Closures

Any activity which may require the closure of a road needs approval from Council and a traffic management plan will also need to be submitted.  Council requires a minimum of 60 days notice prior to the date of closure.

Roadside Livestock Grazing (Grazing the "long acre")

The Livestock Movements and Animals in Public Places Bylaw 2008 - Section 512 states: 

512.1 Stock grazing of road ‘berm' areas within the District, for the purpose of clearing excess vegetation growth, is not permitted without prior permission having been obtained from an authorised officer. The conditions set out in Schedule 3 of this Bylaw must be complied with in all instances of such grazing. See the Related Pages below for the necessary forms.


Traffic Management Resources

NZ Transport Agency manuals and resources


Central Hawke's Bay District Council - Copyright © 2020 Central Hawke's Bay District Council

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Central Hawke's Bay District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Central Hawke's Bay District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Central Hawke's Bay District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Central Hawke's Bay District Council - / +64 6 857 8060 /