Central Hawke's Bay District Council employs one Animal Control Officer whose tasks include regular patrolling of all areas of the district collecting stray dogs and where possible locating their owners. The officer is also responsible for wandering stock, wild cats and natural pests.
Annual dog registration forms are sent out with fees payable by 1st July each year to receive a discount. After 1st August a penalty is imposed.
Council also encourages owners to take their dogs to an obedience school. A responsible dog owner scheme is in place in Central Hawke's Bay. This is a special licence price given to those owners who have demonstrated to Council they are good owners by paying fees on time, that have had their dogs desexed and have dogs that are under control at all times and do not wander off the property, and that their property is fully fenced. An inspection of your property must be carried out before the end of April each year.
The Animal Control Officer and Administration staff are located in the Waipawa Office in Ruataniwha Street, Waipawa. Telephone +64 6 857 8060.
Your Dog Control Service
Over recent years there have been a number of widely publicised dog attacks reported in the media. Few of these would have happened if the dog owner had ensured their dog was under control at all times. Central Hawke's Bay District Council's Animal Control team is committed to preventing such incidents by a combination of education and enforcement.
Please play your part in ensuring that dog ownership is a pleasant experience for everyone.
Council is committed to:
- Supplying a quality service.
- Listening to our customers.
- Providing a professional service.
- Responding in a timely manner.
- Obtaining regular feedback from our customers.
- Continually striving to improve our service.
- Education and advice on care of dogs.
- Collar sales
The following dog control problems are subject to the issuing of infringement notices or prosecution:
- Roaming dogs and stock
- Dogs rushing or attacks on persons, pets, stock or wildlife.
- Non compliance with any part of the Dog Control Act 1996 or the Central Hawke's Bay Council Bylaws Part 12 - Dog Control 2008