Waipukurau Second Drinking Water Supply
The Central Hawke’s Bay District Council’s current long-term plan identifies a project to provide resilience, increase capacity, support growth and ultimately future proof Waipukurau’s drinking water network by adding a second supply.
We have been working with engineers to develop the best option to add resilience to the network. Following a recent funding injection through the 3 waters reform, Council has the ability to increase the project budget to allow us to approach this with a generational lens.
What are the issues with the current supply?
Last week, geotechnical investigations were performed at the proposed reservoir location. Results will be available in the next couple of weeks and will help determine the final reservoir location between Waipukurau and Waipawa.
Procurement of the due diligence contractor has been completed with works expected to commence on the 17th May.
The Central Hawke's Bay District Council is engaging Downer to renew stage 1 pipework from the current Waipawa Bore to Tikokino road gate marking the 1st significant capital work on the second supply pipeline project.
Council has narrowed down a long list of potential water source locations for this project to five that are currently being assessed against a set of criteria to identify the best location to progress for investigation.
We expect this work to be completed in August 2019 - where can progress to planning the investigatory drilling for water.
After Council's preliminary investigations, we believe that connecting Waipukurau’s water supply with Waipawa’s adds greater source resilience and opportunities to unlock future growth potential for both these towns.
The scope of the project now involves two pipelines connecting to a reservoir at a mid-point, sourced from Waipawa, supplying Waipukurau initially, with the option to return supply Waipawa in years to come. If the upgraded Waipawa source can fully supply Waipukurau, then the existing critical mains and reservoirs would become less critical and replacement of these could be deferred until their condition or performance requires it. It is possible that this option could also be configured to enable water from Waipukurau’s SH2 borefield to supply Waipawa in an emergency.
The project will include additional bores, extending the existing treatment plant, a new pumping station and an access track to access the reservoir.
The pipeline from Waipawa to Waipukurau would be placed in a trench below ground, allowing for continued land use. Council have not yet decided on a final pathway for the pipeline, but have identified three possible routes.
If the Blue route becomes the best practical solution, Council will begin formal engagement with landowners, Iwi, community members and the Hawke’s Bay Regional Council before Council decides on the best option to move into the design and execution phase.
A further update was presented to the Finance and Infrastructure Committee today - requesting that some work that is mutual between the two preferred options continue. Particularly the design to replace the rising main that runs from the current borefield to the reservoir, and also structural assessments of the two Waipukurau reservoirs.
This will ensure no time delays are seen on these items considered critical to both options once funding is announced.
A presentation on options to take forward was presented to Council at the Finance and Infrastructure Committee - presenting two potential options that could be progressed, funding dependant.
While we wait for information on our funding application, work will continue on supporting projects like the SH2 Borefield Upgrade and the Waipukurau Firefighting improvements.
During lockdown, Council prepared an application to the Crown Infrastructure Partners to support this project and ensuring CHBDC is able to deliver the best solution that aligns to our THRIVE values.
You can read more on that application on the HB 3 Waters Review Website: https://www.hb3waters.nz/assets/Uploads/HB-Regional-CIP-application.pdf
Following a robust tender process, council is currently working with a preferred supplier to negotiate a contract, and expect to have this in place by the end of 2019, ready to undertake a strategic assessment of this project in early 2020.
Due to some additional information provided to tenders, Council has extended the closing date on this tender opportunity to 18 October 2019.
We have released the design portion of this project out to tender, this closes to all prospective suppliers on Friday 27th September 2019.
We expect to have evaluated and awarded a contract to a design partner in October 2019.
5 potential locations have been shortlisted as potential water bore sources, and are currently being evaluated.
Council is also in the process of procuring the services of a partner to see this project through to build, and will be working through this tender process over the next 4-6 weeks.
Council is currently working through the options for the proposed water source, this involves assessing shallow groundwater sources and deep water sources to evaluate where to progress with the water source for the Second Supply project.
From this work, Council and our technical advisers will identify exploratory options and assess them against our multi criteria to understand where we should drill next. The criteria identifies items like reservoir placement, pipeline routes, proposed water quality, capital and operational costs, and resilience to assess the proposed options against.
This process is undertaken to ensure council makes the best informed decision when investigating the water source for the Second Supply for Waipukurau.
Central Hawke’s Bay District Council (CHBDC) are currently investigating options for the bore location for the second water supply to the township of Waipukurau. Following an initial assessment of potential options, CHBDC is reviewing a shallow groundwater bore adjacent to the Tukituki River.
This will involve testing of the water quality and flow prior to any production bores are drilled, all works are also subject to resource consents.
A pipeline is then planned to be constructed to a reservoir, where the water will be treated and gravity fed back into Waipukurau.
Unfortunately following three exploratory test bores, Council has not been able to yet secure sufficient quantities of water to progress to production bores.
Council continues to work on investigating surrounding bores, river channels and other relevant information to refine where the next location to investigate and drill may be.
Council commenced exploratory work week starting 7 January 2019 to identify a water source for the second supply. Testing will take place until council can confirm water quality and flow requirements meet those required to progress the project.
Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Central Hawke's Bay District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Central Hawke's Bay District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Central Hawke's Bay District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.
© Central Hawke's Bay District Council - / +64 6 857 8060 / email@example.com