skip to main content

Local Body ElectionsKōwhiringa pōti rangatōpū ā-rohe

Information on voting, special voting and electoral rolls.

Local Body Elections


Central Hawke's Bay District Council elections are by postal vote. Voting forms are posted to electors along with a freepost envelope to return their vote to the Council's Electoral Officer.

The voting forms will be posted to your address on the electoral roll. To change your address details you can:

The electoral system used is First Past the Post (FPP).

Special Voting

Special Votes are available to electors:

  • whose names do not appear on the Final Electoral Roll, but who qualify as electors, ie the elector has enrolled after the closing of the roll
  • who did not receive a voting paper previously posted to them
  • who spoil or damage a voting paper previously posted to them
  • who are on the unpublished roll

Special Votes can be posted directly out to electors. Requests for the voting papers can be made at the Central Hawke's Bay District Council, Ruataniwha Street, Waipawa or phone +64 6 857 8060. The completed voting papers however, must be returned to the Electoral Officer in the envelope supplied.

Special Votes require the completion of a statutory declaration. This is a legal requirement and a protection for electors against possible duplicate voting.

If an elector requests a Special Vote and is not on the Parliamentary Roll (e.g. just turned 18 years of age), the person must enrol at any Post Shop during normal business hours. Special Vote Declarations are forwarded to Registrars of Electors for verification that the elector is eligible and has enrolled as a Parliamentary elector.

NOTE: Special Votes cannot be collected by candidates or their assistants for distribution to electors.

Electoral Rolls

To vote in a local authority election, you need to be enrolled on either the residential or ratepayer electoral roll.

Copies of the Electoral Roll are available at Central Hawke's Bay District Council , Ruataniwha Street, Waipawa, the Public Libraries in Waipukurau and Waipawa, and New Zealand Post Shops.

Residential Elector

You are eligible to enrol on the residential roll if you:

  • are 18 years of age or older, and
  • are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident, and
  • have lived in New Zealand continuously, at any time, for one year or more, and
  • have lived at your current address for more than one month.

If you are registered on the parliamentary (electoral) roll, you are automatically enrolled on the local authority residential roll at the address where you live. You do not have to be a ratepayer to qualify for enrolment on the residential roll.

To change your address details you can:

Enrol or Check your details

Ratepayer Elector

Ratepayers who are not residents of the Central Hawke's Bay but pay rates on property within the Council's boundaries may be entitled to enrol on the ratepayer roll. Companies, businesses and societies which are ratepayers, may also nominate an elector to vote on their behalf, provided any such elector resides outside the Council's boundaries.



Central Hawke's Bay District Council - Copyright © 2019 Central Hawke's Bay District Council

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Central Hawke's Bay District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Central Hawke's Bay District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Central Hawke's Bay District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Central Hawke's Bay District Council - / +64 6 857 8060 /